Wednesday 4 July 2012

My friend's rant about public transport



My friend raises some good points about the shitness of UK transport. Thought I'd share. I called it a rant, but I am reliably informed it is in fact,  a "carefully considered and calmly positioned polemic":

"Now, transport. I like it on the way into Berlin where it's always on time and you get the trumpetty announcements, and in Vietnam where the guard gives you noodles. I think it's AWFUL in the UK how we have to pay so much for such shite customer service (all apart from Lorraine at Liverpool Lime St who as previously documented, is my number one friend in the world). Also, shite product (crowded, smelly trains) and godawful pricing structures where workers who RELY on trains are penalised by paying the highest fares and having the worst delays. 

And if you dare to book a ticket on the same day as travel (who would do such a thing??! I ask you) you have to pay a sum that would otherwise get you an overnight stay in a 5* hotel. And it seems unless you're leaving London (those journeys always seem to go smoothly, hmmm), any other journey could get cancelled and you're thrown on a shitty bus at the drop of a hat - if you'd wanted a bus you would have booked National Express and paid a quarter of the price. 

And trains always have to wait for ages "for a platform" outside stations like New Street and Derby for ages - like, it's run to a timetable, do they not KNOW the train is coming or what??! And between small towns there is rubbish coverage. And you can't get phone signal. And the worst of it is, the train companies know they have a monopoly so they have no need to improve!!! Rah. Thank goodness for #Fridayshoes."

No comments:

Post a Comment