Friday 23 March 2012

You win SWTrains - a guest blog by @monkeybuxton

Introducing another ordinary commuter's story. Thanks @monkeybuxton for taking the time to write this. Gosh, if only there were something we could do to change this appalling abuse and complete monopoly over passengers:

I realised the other day that I've been travelling on SWTrains for nearly 11 years. First in my bachelor days in Chiswick, then from Twickenham as I began to settle down, and finally out to the very edge of the M25 to start a family. And it's that little girl that's caused the problem.


Delays and cancellations just used to mean 20 minutes standing on a cold platform, or being half an hour later than everyone else to the pub. But now it's more than that. Being late for work means I sometimes don't work my contracted hours. But being late home means that I miss that precious 30 minutes with my daughter. Just to dwell on that for a moment, there are days when I don't see my daughter because of the poor and unreliable service that my train company provides, and that kills me.


It happened recently, on Valentine's Day, and I made my third ever complaint. The guard shut the door in my face and the train left early after a late connection forced me to do an unsuccessful 'Weybridge Dash'. The nice man in Customer Services sympathised and empathised (he has a daughter of his own and so completely understands how frustrated I must be.) I've just had my reply; they've checked the data and the train left on time, all correct procedures were followed, it's up to passengers to be there 30 seconds before departure etc etc.


And that's when it struck me. You've got me SW Trains. Because of where I've chosen to live, and because it's too far to cycle and the traffic's so bad on the A3, you've got me. I'm slinking off defeated with my tail between my legs. You don't care about me and I can't make you. You win.

No comments:

Post a Comment